How to choose the right tyres for electric cars
MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV
(1) Cornering stiffness internal study conducted on a machine in 10/2020, on dimension 255/45 R19, comparing MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV versus MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4 SUV.
(2) Better battery range for HP EV - Rolling Resistance internal study conducted in 10/2020, on dimension 255/45 R19, comparing MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV (6.7kg/t) versus MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4 SUV (8.8kg/t). For an electrical vehicle of a mass 2151kg, with an autonomy of 540km, this gap of 2.1kg/t drives to a gain of autonomy of more than 60km, or more than 10% of the initial range.
(3) - noise disturbance - Internal noise measurement, done in 2016 on size 245/45 R19 on KIA Cadenza. Noise level measured on the range "170-230Hz". Results may vary according to vehicle, tyre range and size, speed and road conditions.
(4) Rolling resistance test - Rolling Resistance tests conducted on machine by Applus Idiada, on Michelin's request, June (on new) & August (on 2mm buffed) 2020, on dimension 205/55 R16 91V, comparing MICHELIN e.PRIMACY (new: 5.58kg/t & worn: 5.13kg/t) versus MICHELIN PRIMACY 4 (new: 7.74kg/t & worn: 6.25kg/t) ; BRIDGESTONE TURANZA T005 (new: 7.17kg/t & worn: 5.81kg/t) ; CONTINENTAL ECOCONTACT 6 (new: 6.39kg/t & worn: 5.49kg/t) ; CONTINENTAL PREMIUM CONTACT 6 (new: 8,93kg/t & worn: 6,94kg/t) ; DUNLOP BLURESPONSE (new: 7.97kg/t & worn: 5.54kg/t) ; GOODYEAR EFFICIENT GRIP 2 (new: 7.01kg/t & worn: 5.38kg/t) ; PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 BLUE (new: 6.96kg/t & worn: 6.30kg/t) ; PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 (new: 8.79kg/t & worn: 6.97kg/t).
(5) MICHELIN e.PRIMACY category of tyres is defined as one of the Premium summer tyres such as CONTINENTAL, GOODYEAR, BRIDGESTONE, PIRELLI, DUNLOP brands, and which are not dedicated to Original Equipment application (i.e. not designed to achieve car manufacturers specific targets) but tyres that can be purchased from retailers.
(6) Increased EV battery range and CO₂ reduction - When new, MICHELIN e.PRIMACY generates 2kg/t on average Rolling Resistance less than competitors, equivalent in fuel consumption reduction of up to 0.21l/100km, equivalent of a gain in CO₂ emission up to 5g for a VW Golf 7 1.5 TSI or equivalent of gain of up to 7% in autonomy for a VW e.Golf.
(7) Longevity - Longevity test conducted by DEKRA TEST CENTER, on Michelin's request, June-July 2020, on dimension 205/55 R16 91V on VW Golf 7 comparing MICHELIN e.PRIMACY (100%) versus MICHELIN Primacy 4 (102.1%); Longevity test run in average real usage (D50) with 14.460 km run and extrapolated longevity at 1.6mm. Test winner ADAC Summer 2020 235/55 R17 test performed by ADAC on a Ford Kuga in 2020. This test was performed in 235/55 R17. Michelin Primacy 4 is the best of 12 tested tyres according to tested properties (wet, dry, noise, wear, fuel consumption). Michelin Primacy 4 is test winner with the following comments: "Very balanced with top marks in the wet, excellent low wear, very good in the dry" - Ranked 1.0 in Wear.
(8) - Wet grip - MICHELIN e.PRIMACY is rated "B" on the Wet Grip Item of the European labelling scale.